NYSDA has developed a HIPAA Security Compliance course and accompanying NYSDA HIPAA Security Compliance Manual. These provide a practical guide for dentists and their office team. Implementing the Manual in your practice can help you avoid fines of hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars resulting from a government audit or breach of your patient data.
- If you maintain and transmit patient health records electronically
- If you issue prescriptions electronically
You are subject to HIPAA security regulations.
The NYSDA course provides answers to frequently asked questions about the maintenance and transmission of protected patient information, including:
- What does the law require?
- What is a “risk analysis”?
- Who should have access to the dental office’s Wi-Fi?
- What is “encryption”? When is it required?
- How can x-rays be transmitted via email?
- How can a dental practice protect itself from a security breach?
- What must a practice do if its computers are breached?
- What are “Business Associate Agreements”? When are they required?
- What is the risk from “ransomware”?
The course is designed to educate the entire dental office team. You are encouraged to bring your office staff. Dentist’s tuition includes one copy of the NYSDA HIPAA Security Compliance Manual. Attendees will receive 3 MCE credit hours.
NYSDA member/office representative: $175
Auxiliary staff, accompanied by dentist: $55 per person
Non-member dentist/office representative: $275
Contact Jacquie Donnelly at NYSDA for course schedule and further information: email@example.com; 800-255-2100.