Continuing Education Requirements for Licensure in NYS
New Dentists in First Year of Practice
Your residency program will count as 60 credits, however, you will still be responsible for taking the courses mandated by New York State before your license expires.
New York State’s Mandatory Continuing Education law requires that a dentist obtain at least 60 credit hours of CE every 3 years. The New York State Education Department ultimately decides which courses qualify.
Requirements for each three year registration period:
- 60 continuing education credit hours for every 3 year registration period. 18 out of the 60 credits can be home study
- New York State Mandated Ethics and Jurisprudence course (once in your lifetime)
- New York State Mandated Tobacco Cessation/Oral Cancer course (once in your lifetime)
- New York State Mandated Child abuse course (once in your lifetime)
- New York State Mandated Infection Control course (once every 4 years)
- CPR course: you must maintain a current certificate (varies 1-3 years). CPR must be taken in person.
Practice Management courses are not accepted by the State Education Department and cannot count towards the 60 credit total.
More information about courses and requirements can be found online with the New York State Education Department.
Dental Anesthesia and Sedation
Dentists must apply for a certificate with the New York State Education Department in order to administer general anesthesia, deep sedation or conscious sedation (parenteral or enteral route with or without inhalation agents) in their professional practice at locations other than general hospitals.
This information is available from the New York State Education Department.
Let us help!
NYSDA can relieve some of the stress of license renewal and record keeping for our Members. By submitting your CE certificates to us, we compile your transcript to have it ready when you need it. View your transcript online anytime, or contact us to request a transcript that can be sent to the New Your State Education Department.