New York State Dental Association members demonstrate their commitment to quality care through our Peer Review and Quality Assurance Program.
Peer Review provides a confidential, impartial and timely way to resolve complaints about the appropriateness and quality of dental treatment provided by NYSDA-member dentists. Participation in this alternative dispute resolution process is a membership requirement.
Peer Review resolves patient complaints confidentially. Neither the process nor its outcome is reported to any outside agency – or the public. Peer Reviews are resolved by a committee of impartial professional peers. Peer Review resolutions are final. Peer Review findings have been upheld by the court, providing the doctor with immunity from subsequent litigation.
A Guide to Peer Review outlines the process a Peer Review case undergoes on its way to resolution.
Peer Review provides:
- An alternative to resolve complaints about dental treatment;
- An objective evaluation of treatment by a committee of impartial professional peers;
- A refund of fees to the patient when treatment is not consistent with the standard of care.
To be eligible for Peer Review:
- Treatment must be provided by a NYSDA member dentist;
- Treatment must have been completed within 2 ½ years prior to submission of the Agreement to Submit to Peer Review;
- Dispute cannot have been submitted to or resolved by an alternative mechanism; i.e., collection action, legal proceeding, OPD, etc.
Benefits to NYSDA Members
- Process is confidential. There is no reporting to any outside entity, i.e., OPD, National Practitioner Data Bank, the public, etc;
- Process is definitive and final. Parties cannot sue subsequent to a Peer Review decision. The process has been upheld repeatedly by the courts;
- Treatment is evaluated by your professional peers;
- When treatment is found to be acceptable, the doctor receives the fees owed by the patient.
Peer Review Training Video's
Please click here to watch the peer review training videos.