New York State’s Mandatory Continuing Education law requires that a dentist obtain at least 60 credit hours of CE every 3 years. The New York State Education Department ultimately decides which courses qualify.
Requirements for each three year registration period:
- 60 continuing education credit hours for every 3 year registration period. 18 out of the 60 credits can be home study
- New York State Mandated Ethics and Jurisprudence course (once in your lifetime)
- New York State Mandated Tobacco Cessation/Oral Cancer course (once in your lifetime)
- New York State Mandated Child abuse course (once in your lifetime)
- New York State Mandated Infection Control course (once every 4 years)
- CPR course: you must maintain a current certificate (varies 1-3 years). CPR must be taken in person.
Practice Management courses are not accepted by the State Education Department and cannot count towards the 60 credit total.
More information about courses and requirements can be found online with the New York State Education Department.